On Monday 12th December the Islamic Reporting Initiative (IRI) took part in a panel discussion at the Royal Society of Arts in London on impact investment and delivering the Sustainable Development Goals.
It was the first in a new series of ‘Spotlight on Impact Investing – Doing Good While Doing Well’, organized by the Commonwealth Enterprise and Investment Council and the Inclusive Ventures Group, and with the support of the Commonwealth Investment Platform.
The event brought together approximately one hundred specially invited impact investors and also representatives of investment institutions, family offices, social businesses and High Commissioners to explore opportunities for Commonwealth leadership and partnerships in this field.
Looking at the evolution of impact investing and its potential to be a catalyst for development, along with associated risks and challenges, the event also covered examples of best practice and potential impact investment opportunities in different Commonwealth countries and sectors.
Drs Daan Elffers, who represented the IRI on this occasion, said:
“The Islamic Reporting Initiative can play a critical role for impact investors looking to invest in OIC countries by expediting local support for increased transparency and disclosure. As a result, OIC countries can benefit tremendously by attracting impact investment from all over the world.”
Following an introduction by Lord Marland (Chairman of the Commonwealth Enterprise and Investment Council), Mr Mohamed Amersi (Founder, Inclusive Ventures Group) and Mr Michael Sippitt (Chairman, Commonwealth Environmental Investment Platform), speakers included:
- Professor Colin Mayer, Saïd Business School, University of Oxford
- Mr Heerad Sabeti, Co-founder and CEO, The Fourth Sector Group
- Mr Murali Vullaganti, Co-founder & CEO, RuralShores, India
- Mr Simon Smiles, Chief Investment Officer – UHNW, UBS, Switzerland
- Mr Pradeep Jethi, Co-founder and Advisor, Social Stock Exchange
- Mr Linus Bille, Founding Partner and CEO, Eicorn Enterprise Ignition
- Ms Eva Helene Yazhari, CEO, Beyond Capital Fund
- Mr Raf Goovaerts, Partner LGT Impact Ventures UK
- Mr Andrew Carruthers, Co-founder and Managing Director, Novastar Ventures
- Mr Geoff Burnand, Chief Executive, Investing for Good
- Ms Saskia Bruysten, Co-founder and CEO, Yunus Social Business
- Farrukh Khan, Chief Business Development Officer, Acumen, UK
- Mr Andrew Hunt, Co-founder and Managing Director, Aduna
- Ms Abha Thorat-Shah, Director Investments and Programmes, British Asian Trust
- Ms Sonja Giese, Executive Director, Innovation Edge
- Mr Dave Browne, Director, Vita Green Impact Fund
- Sir Hugo Swire, KCMG, MP, Deputy Chairman Commonwealth Enterprise and Investment Council
We thank Mr Mohamed Amersi and Inclusive Ventures Group for their kind invitation to the Islamic Reporting Initiative to be part of this inspiring event.